Sweat Much? Cramp? Suffer in the heat?
Do you pay much attention to your sweat loss during exercise?
You should. It's crucial to your performance. Poor fluid and/or electrolyte balance not only has negative effects on muscular performance, but also on cognitive function. Ever get that hazy "out of it" feeling after a day (or more) out in the heat? You do, well you're likely dehydrated, low on sodium, or a combo of both.
Rather incredibly, the amount of sodium lost can vary up to 15 times between seemingly similar individuals.
This means that a 'one-size-fits-all', off the shelf approach doesn't work when it comes to hydration.
A solid hydration plan is built by knowing 2 different pieces of the hydration puzzle. Your Sweat rate and Sweat Sodium Concentration.
Sweat Rate is highly variable and should be tested often. You can check out a simple way to test that on your own Here
Sweat Sodium Concentration is largely fixed so once you know how much sodium you lose in your sweat, you have all you need to dial in your electrolyte needs in any conditions.
What is Sodium/Sweat Testing?
We offer a non-exercise, non-invasive test that allows us to provide you, the athlete, with a personalized hydration plan and offer a mix of products that meet your individual needs.
No blood tests. No intervals. No exercise at all. Our Precision Hydration Test takes about 30-40 minutes and all you have to do is sit comfortably while we talk to you about how you train and compete. The test is simple, painless, and extremely accurate.
The test provides us with an accurate reading of the amount of sodium (the key electrolyte lost in sweat) you lose every time you sweat. This is a genetically determined amount and changes little throughout your lifetime, so one test is enough.
We combine the reading with the information you give us during the test to create a hydration strategy just for you. This hits your inbox within seconds of the test completion and will advise you on when, what, and how much to drink before, during and after training and competitions so that you're well equipped to achieve your goals.
If you come equipped with your present hydration regimen (namely the sodium concentration of your sports drink), we can help you make adjustments for your longer training sessions or events. If you don't have a set regimen or your present drink won't touch your electrolyte needs, we'll recommend what strength of H2Pro Hydrate will work best for you in each scenario. The guys at Precision Hydration have developed a number of multi-strength electrolyte tablets because the majority of other products out there just don't do the job for most people. Their strongest product, H2Pro Hydrate 1500 has up to 3.5 times more electrolytes than other brands you might have used before. Check out the range of products Here
Here's why personalizing your hydration strategies is so important:
• Every athlete loses a different amount of sodium in their sweat, from as little as 200mg of sodium per litre of sweat, to as much as 2000mg/l
• This is largely genetically determined
• Combine with your sweat rate, your net sweat/sodium losses over an event can vary significantly from a fellow athlete
• So, a 'one-size-fits-all' approach to hydration just doesn't work
Understanding the unique physiology of your sodium and sweat losses allows the development of a personalized hydration strategies that meet your needs, which is crucial to maintaining performance.
Benefits for You
1. Performance maintenance. Optimizing fluid/ electrolyte intake maintains blood plasma volume, which prevents the drop off in performance that occurs when an athlete is dehydrated
2. Performance enhancement. Studies have shown that acute pre-exercise sodium loading can actually increase performance, by increasing blood plasma volume
3. Reduced cramping
4. Hydration awareness and self-management. Athletes who've taken our Sweat Test are far more aware of their own hydration requirements
5. Increased safety from the extreme downsides of dehydration (hyponatremia)
To book your Sweat Test contact me for day and times to suit.